Pages

Monday 11 August 2014

End of Week 11...

I am now at the beginning of week 12 here in Umeå and i really cannot believe how fast it's all going in!!

Last week I spent two days at the methadone clinic here which was a really interesting experience as I have spent time on these clinics in Scotland. What surprised me most was the difference in presentation between the service-users... All of the service-users here have permanent housing, and most of them were in employment. Which is a stark contrast from what I have seen in Glasgow, where the majority of the service-users have come from or are still living in relative poverty.
However, unlike in Glasgow, the service here in Umeå does not offer a needle exchange programme nor does it operate Naloxone training or give out Naloxone kits. However the principles and aims of the programme were very similar to home as well as the terms of commitment to the programme. I believe needle exchange programmes do operate in some of the bigger city's such as Stockholm.

At the weekend I spent time with some friends, as some of the people I have met here have been finishing up there summer jobs and having a short break before classes begin again.

This week I will be spending a lot of time with one of the social workers on the Rehab team to find out more about their role within mental health care here in Sweden. I will also continue with medicine administration and some home visits.

I am still absolutely loving it here and beginning to panic about how little time I have left!

Julie :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment