Pages

Monday 4 August 2014

End of Week 10...

Week 10 in Umeå was another really great one - I completed my last shifts on the in-patient ward for the summer so the remainder of my placement will be on the out-patient unit. I really enjoyed my time on the ward as it was a really unique setting in that we don't really have anything similar at home. I also met some really inspiring patients who were more than happy to tell me more about themselves and in English. I believe the care and treatment of people with substance misuse problems here in Sweden is fantastic and the experience has further motivated my aspirations as an soon to be mental health nurse.  

My friend, Emma also came to Umeå this week to visit me! It was so good to see a good friend after over 2 months. We spent most of our time in the sun and made the most of the lake which is so nearby. I will attach a beautiful photograph I took while there.

I am absolutely loving my time here and the thought of going home in just three weeks is starting to panic me as I could very happily stay on here!

This week I will continue on the out-patient unit and I am spending two days at the methadone clinic which I am really looking forward to. I feel my Swedish language is coming along too, although my own patter isn't yet perfect I am able to understand other's pretty well and can usually follow the general idea of a conversation by listening. 

Again, this entire experience has proven to me first hand the importance of non verbal communication and has shown me not only how important it is to assess this effectively in a service-user, but how imperative it is for me to be aware of my own non-verbal communication as a way of developing my therapeutic relationships.

Only 3 weeks to go so I'm off to enjoy them! hope you like the photo. This truly is the most beautiful place in the world. (in my opinion).

Julie :)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment